Saturday 6 July 2013

Western Red Cedar Ceiling Installation

It was my intention when I moved into this house to  have a more relaxed and enjoyable out door area. So I decided the FIRST STEP would be to get rid of the same same boring white ceiling in the alfresco area that everyone has.
I wanted Western Red cedar wood and gathered the quotes, GOSH, everything from 4800 dollars to 9400 dollars. After that shock I explored the DIY way. 
Eventually I found a volunteer in STEVE HILL to help me install. He was great, knowledgeable and made the job worthy of the timber we used. Western red cedar is awesome to work with, natural in its scope of blended colours and light in weight. It took a little over 5 hours from start to finish, including the oiling of the timber, done with a water based oil. I hope you agree its a better look.
After moving the furniture out and disconnecting the light fitting Step one was the simple removal of the plastic jointing to fix the pine batons to. Step two was to apply rubber based glue to the batons for extra support. Then to apply the tongue and groove Western Red Cedar, each length pinned onto the pine batons. Pins being placed on the tongue so the next length covered it (I would not of thought of that). Finally the oil which was put on simply with a lambs wool applicator.











No comments:

Post a Comment